Tuesday 22 April 2014

Freehand Machine Embroidery with Two Turtle Doves

 So if it were just to be in her relaxed and fun- loving presents, listening to that soothing glaswegian accents or taking in her funky 50's sense of style I would be there!

But to top all of the above, Caroline Austin agreed to give me a one-to-one Freehand Machine Embroidery lesson at her studio based at the offices above Snow Design & Interiors in Stamford. 

I first met Caroline when she worked at Cally Co fabric shop and I went in for a fabric fix. I instantly loved her style and accent and approachable nature. 
We quickly realised we are both have  our wares stocked at Snow Designs and Interiors in Stamford. 

Caroline's work is amazing. Her designs dance off the fabric and one of my favourite pieces is this feather cushion which looks three dimensional - you just want to reach out and touch it!!


I hold no hope or have no plans of doing anything as detailed as Caroline's work. I just wanted to learn a new skill that would complement my bag/ purse making and it was bloodily fun to learn. 

Here are some photos of me learning this cool sewing technique. 

        Learning the technique

It was lovely to be taught by Caroline and we chatted about our kids (we both have two boys) and their craftiness. Her older son who is seven shows a keen interested about what his mum does and she encourages it by having him sit with her while she works. It was lovely finding out that Singer is Scottish made and that most girls, like Caroline, got their first machines at age 5. 

             Wee busy bee at work 

Today I used my darning foot to add a bit of gold to this appliqué cat for this clutch. 

        Now listed on my Etsy Shop

 Caroline offers lessons. Just clink below for info and to buy her wonderful, unique work: 
www.twoturtledovesdesigns.com



No comments:

Post a Comment